Sunday, July 5, 2009

Weapon of mass destruction

Wanna know the deadliest substance in Kenya?
Lemon Cordial aka Drank. Its florescent color and charming happy lemon speaks for itself. I've spent many days unsuccessfully trying to resist its charm. *dilute to taste* lol I'm just going to add random pictures of home life. I gots some time before heading back to the shamba for some lunch.

This is me and Asuke, one of Papa's workers. I came home from school one day to find cute little quails. So i decided to take a picture! Right after this, Asuke asked to also hold the quail and when i handed it to him, he was very helpful and showed me how to break their wings :(
...later he cooked them. I told Mayan I couldn't wait... but i actually didn't have the guts to eat them hahaha! He totally called my bluff on that one.


This is me with some of my students. Yeah, I know, they look older than me. Strangely enough some of the teachers are younger than the students and they still command the same respect. The youngest teacher at Wikondiek is Madame Winfred born in 1990! Its pretty nuts but in a very rural area, as long as you've gotten good grades in secondary school, you may be qualified to teach it. She is just teaching to save up money for her admission to University of Nairobi in September! Kudos to her. Side note : I look gross here but you get the idea. I feel when I have impromptu conversations with the students about Canada and University life, it provides them with way more information compared to when I'm in the classroom teaching.

This is me and the preschool kids. Their parents pay 60 ksh a month for their children to attend. $1 CAD = 66 ksh. The poverty this area experiences does not allow many parents to pay this amount. The teacher here tells me many parents owe them. Also, there are many orphans in this area that may be in child-headed families. In this case, its hard even to be fed. The Asiyo family sponsors alot of children through school :) but there is always a need there. The classroom is a forested area with no chalkboard. It's really tough to teach. These children are really young (maybe 4 years old) and don't know English yet so they mostly just run after me and stare. Some are scared. Actually, last week I made a small child cry beacuse i stopped to say hello. But they mostly get really excited when i'm around... they like to pinch my skin, shake my hand and pull my hair hahaha. I'm different *yay*

Okay i'm being booted off.
till next time TO <3

10 comments:

  1. Hi Mag, I finally got your blog website. First, let me say "Happy Belated Birthday" to make up what I missed, trust me, I feel guilty about it.

    I like the opening of your blog. You're right about "TRUST" that makes you feel risky & uncomfortable. But the way I see it, is the basis of human relationship. A real TRUST must be earned & built, that takes time. However, I'm glad you can quickly overcome the circumstances.

    It's horrify to know you had Malaria, glad that you recovered quickly. I love the latest updates you post on the blog, Its great to hear you're learning more & more everyday. Please Keep us posted as often as you can.

    Love,
    Han-e.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pulling at your long, shiny, black hair? haha you are a novelty for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am jealous of your cultural journey, ms gemini :)

    I, on the other hand, have been posting about Johnny Depp, parties, and clothes. Tres deep LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Belated Birthday Maggie :) Having read Larissa's blog, I learned that you were caught with malaria. I hope all is well. Your experience sounds amazing! Keep blogginG!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that last pic is priceless (although they all are) the kids look like they love you and i dont blame them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I missed your call last time I was still asleep and my phone was on silent. It looks like you're having a blast! enjoy yourself! i'll check back

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey maggie are you teaching English? Do you have any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad that you are blogging more often! Quail is gooooodd! ;)
    Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those kids are adorable! It's really sad that these people can't even afford the equivalent of what buys us a bag of chips here :(

    ReplyDelete