Monday, July 13, 2009

A Rose in a Thorn Bush


Hey guys :) Sorry I hadn't gotten to internet sooner, I've been super busy! Right now I'm in Kisumu, which is Kenya's third largest city after Nairobi and Mombasa. (It's kinda like Montreal lol)

I'm blogging things that have happened to me from a few weeks back because I don't want to skip too much. So, if you've read on Mayan's blog that we've gone somewhere, don't worry. I've got you covered. My post will just come a little later. I'm currently blogging things from 3 weeks back :( Today, my first post will be about one of my best friends in Kenya, Madam Rose. As you know, with Mayan, Papa, Leslie and the other boys that live across the way, the house is full of testosterone. Madam Rose is my escape house :) She is the first teacher in the primary section pursuing a degree. The other teachers have just finished highschool and attended teacher's college.

I identify with Rose because though she is from a very rural area, she has a broad perspective and I'm able to talk to her about many unconventional, even radical, concepts. She is 32 years old and unwed because she wants to be a learned woman. This is a huge deal in an area when girls are being married as young as 9 years old and I really respect her tenacity. In fact, she counsels the girls of primary to become strong women, and she is a fine example herself. Many girls in primary end up dropping out to work or get married because their families need the bride price. This is a stark contrast from Canada, where I find most of the drop outs to be male. Females here bear the brunt of a household's work.

I really value these conversations with Rose because as a foreigner, the children are reluctant to tell me too much. There is a Luo saying that goes, "One should only show their nakedness to their blood". so, the children dislike showing us their weaknesses or their need. Even when visiting our home, they will borrow their friends' nicer clothing so it does not reveal their true needs. They are resourceful and resilient beyond my imagination.

The photos in this post are of Rose and I cooking some sukumawiki (greens), rice and dhal (beans). This is the food that I eat on a regular basis!


3 comments:

  1. Wow I can't bealive that girls are being married at such a young age! That is so sad.
    And is that you cooking? I love these candid "snaps"
    -Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you on the Wikondiek diet plan? You look like you are melting away! Put some mayonnaise on that sukumawiki!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY!!! I adore Rose. I hung out with her all the time too. Maggie please hug her for me...
    I've gotten Mayan's email to me, so sorry I have not yet called you guys, I am in the proces of moving...
    Tell Rose something for me.... "mimi na yule mwanamume tungali tunapendana". she'll know what i mean :)She will be happy. Is she not the greatest??
    I love reading about back home in Wikondiek. Ohhh memories.
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete