Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Essence






Upon my arrival to Kenya, Mayan and I met a few guys that are natives to Kenya. We realized quickly that Kenyans exhibit a nationalist spirit like no other. One of the boys told us something that we've held onto till now, "The West has the watch, but Africa holds the time". To me, this embodies the ESSENCE of Kenya, a country stricken with corruption on massive scales, crop failure and the monstrosity of HIV/AIDS. Through it all, people tell me time and time again how they love their country and would not want to be anywhere else but where they are, continually on the grind.

By the way T.O., I feel the same about you <3

Last week, Mayan and I got to be a part of something so beautiful. Papa's daughter from Germany, Mary, sets up a free clinic every 3 months (or they hope to) and treats anyone who shows up. The day started early with people arriving as early as 6 AM when clinic was set to open @ 8 and last the whole day. Mary and her team saw men, women and children, totaling to over 300 patients in one day. Mayan and I jumped at the chance to help, but seeing as Mayan was also having a ground breaking Art Show titled "Me En Am" or "I Am Me", He was a very busy bee! I learned how to give people simple eye exams :)


While I was witness to Mary's eye clinic, I couldn't help but feel conflicted. She would see patients that had little or no eye sight left but because they were elderly and perhaps afraid of surgery, they refused free treatment. In this case, Mary proceeded to prescribe placebos. I was confused by this and she simply said "If they don't want to be treated, there has to be some hope". I respect the health professionals who had to make decisions like these that day. Ethics are relative and I believe they really knew their community's needs.
Mary also saw cases of children with perfect eye sight that was being drastically damaged by the parasites that lived in the river water these youth depend on to survive.

The truth is, as a worker in this community, as a health or education professional, it is hard to know if you've really DONE anything, because you can ALWAYS ALWAYS do more. Even when Mary and her team treated patients for a 12 hour clinic, there were children still coming up to me the next day to get treatment for their Malaria. My heart breaks when I think of those in need who were discouraged by the wait and perhaps had some other reponsibilities.

On the bright side, Mayan's Art Show was also groundbreaking! the first of its kind! The school had to cut the arts out of the curriculum because of the expense. Even though they are required to provide it. So I don't have to tell you everyone was overjoyed. The pieces they were assigned to make were really reflective of their perceptions of self and their future aspirations.

Note: The computer I'm on is mad SLOW! Hopefully i can get on a computer and upload some pics and tell you about my experience in Masai Mara! *its gonna be good* We're off to Mombasa now for some sun bathing on the coast :) Don't worry Larissa! we've given our students their exams and we'll be back at school for closing day!

talk to you soon!

3 comments:

  1. Mombasa! Beautiful :)

    I tried calling you today (and so did Scott). Anyway, I wanted to tell you the office I had an interview at last week called me back for training for this Friday! I'll keep you posted :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's stuff like this that really opens your eyes and lets you appreciate what we do have over here. And for that we shouldn't take any of it for granted. Now you truly understand the saying "someone always has it worst".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weee Mombasa! I am green with envy. Please take a zillion pictures. I have an image in my mind and I want to see if it is accurate.

    Those are some tough lessons about the world that you are learning. As someone who has worked in international development, it is when I hear how a little help (how many drops of quinine?) can go so far that I get angry when I see the waste. That is why I love that you are having this experience. When you head out into the world, you will be able to speak to the reality of it.

    Anique, Natasha and I were chatting today about you and Mayan. We love that the two of you are in Wikondiek together.

    ReplyDelete