Wednesday, July 15, 2009

We love nature


..Still that same ol' G :) *riding dirty in the back of a pick up*

Toronto, Idhi nade? (how are you?)


Still chillin' in Kisumu about to go back to the bush today so let me try and catch up with my blogging. I'm gonna start off with telling you about my trip to Homa Hills and Lake Simbi which I visited almost 2 weeks ago! The little excursion included me, Mayan, Mr.Ochuodho (headmaster from Primary), our student Edwin and of course, Madam Rose.

This first pic (or in kenya "snap") is of Simbi Lake. Sorry I didn't take better pictures, I totally left my camera in the car. Those little girls followed us the whole time we were ther
e and even waited to see us off! Its right near Obama's old village! (He later moved to another area because he came back from the war a Muslim and this area is overwhelmingly Seventh Day Adventists). We came to see this lake because we've heard great stories about it. Apparently, a long time ago there was a village where the lake is now. One night when men of this village were getting drunk they were approached by an old woman who begged them for money. Long story short, they booted her out of sight and she drowned the whole village. People are really mystifiued by it. But to us, it was sorta just a lake that smells of sulphur. haha! I think it's a crater lake. It was still good fun though! I guess that's the difference between city slickers and villagers; we MAY be over stimulated. Anyways! let's move on to Homa Hills.

The foot of Homa Hills is home to some natural hot springs. The picture you see is of Edwin and Leslie taking the eggs we boiled out of the hotsprings. There were many little springs like this. So I asked, "Is there a place people can swim near here?". The answer came from the head master, "No. The local people don't think of su
ch things. They don't know they can make money by developing a tourist attraction". WHOOPS. boo to capitalist me :( haha! but the water here is salty and is said to help clear skin so the head master helped me get all the mosquito bite scars on my arms! how thoughtful right? *fingers crossed*

We didn't actually CLIMB the hills but we walked around them! that counts. This picture is of Leslie BFF and I taking in the scenery! One thing that's different about Kenya is the clean air. When we first arrived in our village, we saw the hills from our home and decided to walk and check them out. We walked for almost 2 hours and got nowhere even CLOSE. Because of the lack of smog, objects appear to be close than they actually are. beware. haha!
So we FINALLY just took the 45 min - 1hr drive to the hills. We actually giggled the whole wa
y. Riding in the back of a pick up is SUPER fun by the way because the villagers don't expect mzungus to be chilln' there so when they see us as we're passing they freak a little... I love it :) This last picture is of Mayan the ferocious beast posing just outside a gazebo over looking Lake Victoria, where we were halving lunch. It was originally built by the Norwegians, before the Kenyan natives booted them out and took back their land. Holla!

4 comments:

  1. My favorite line: "We didn't actually CLIMB the hills but we walked around them! that counts." LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG the hot springs are soo cool :)

    .. and Mayan -- you do you a little beastly ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear Maggie,
    I miss you and i can't wait till you are back.
    I am 5 years old now. bye bye.
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mag,
    It took Gia 15 minutes to post her comment. Isn't that sweet?

    ReplyDelete