Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Something Unsettling

Hey guys...

My friend Sandra (fellow teacher) sent me a link of a video today that is supposedly of Derrion Albert getting beat to death right outside his highschool in Southside, Chicago Thursday. According to news reports, the area has been plagued by gang activity for a long time. Click here for video and news report.

All the news reports I've read has stated that Albert was in no way affiliated with these gangs and that he was an innocent bystander until he got atttacked. I really don't think it matters whether or not he was involved in gangs. The reality is, that as long as gang culture continues to pervade urban areas, anyone involved, gang member or not, should be seen as a victim to some extent. Now this is not an excuse for those who are initiating these spurts of violence but everyone must keep in mind that these reactions ARE a social commentary on the paranoia and distrust people in these areas feel. The marginalization of people like those in Altgeld Gardens, Chicago is leading to feelings of instability and anxiety amongst their youth. And although we like to think of the west as a collection of progressive nations, I'm sorry but I definitely see connections between this situation and ones I encountered in Kenya. People do not feel that if they do not organize for themselves, no one will lobby for their rights. And because these people are among the "bottom rungs" in their society, they are already pissed off with the current system.

It is unfortunate that we are only paying attention to places like Altgeld Gardens because of the violent outbursts. And we can be critical today, but where is our support for the other days of the year? This happens all over the world, be it in urban areas or slum. The sad part is that major news outlets are quick to try to find an excuse, asking "did this child participate in gang activity?" when people should really be up in arms about how our current societal structures overlook the needs of these communities so much so that they feel they need to organize an alternative form of governance. It's times like these where I am proud and weary of my future profession.

"What's going on?" - Marvin Gaye

This piece of news really stuck out to me because during my time in Kenya I read Barack Obama's Dreams From My Father where he talks about his transition from working with the Altgeld Gardens area to South Nyanza, Kenya. I never would have known about this Chicago neighbourhood otherwise. And as a side note, this book really resonated with me and was my favourite read of the summer.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. We should be questioning why these gangs exist and how the criminal justice system exasperates the problem.

    Are you going into teaching or social work?

    You're an amazing writer! I love how perceptive and analytical you are on your blog. I'm sorry that I haven't been the most candid about my Korean adventure.

    You only had a biweekly internet cafe visit and you still managed to write down your thoughts. Amazing! I look forward to reading the rest!

    By the way, how did you end up in Nairobi?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maggie,

    I'm a student at York, and I was recently offered an interview to do work in Kenya as part of the summer student internship program. I'm trying to weigh my options about my summer plans right now. I did a quick search for "Wikondiek Primary and Secondary School" on google and came up with your blog page. It looked like quite the experience based on your pictures and your stories. I don't know anyone personally that has been to Kenya, and around these parts, but it seems like you were there also for an internship/volunteer experience. If you have the time, and don't mind sharing some of your input about your experience there/giving me feedback about working there, I would be most grateful. It would definitely help me to decide on my summer plans.

    Please email me when you get the chance at netwerkz@gmail.com. I will need to respond to their offer for an interview by Tuesday March 2nd, so I hope that you can get back to me before then.

    Thanks for your time.

    Regards,
    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete