Sunday, June 28, 2009

Ready for my close up

Jambo Salaam from mother Africa y'all!

I know, I will try to update more often and with smaller entries but I have to go to some lengths to get the net so bear with me. the good new
s is... your girl found a USB cord in the bush so this post will mostly be pics to make up for the text heavy post 2 weeks prior :)

First off, UPDATES


So, my personal goal was to make it to an internet connection every week but I have good reason for not making it last week:
Malaria. After the vomitting, fever, *stomach* pains and some very scary convulsing Mayan and I experienced, we are back on our feet. SURVIVED (as always..with Hello Kitty)

Now, I'm gonna take you through our initial journey and introduction to Wikondiek. It was hard to describe without pics.


The 7 hour matatu ride:

















Pic 1: the definition of sketchy. we were led through an alley before we arrived and had to leave all our luggage at this place. The driver's baby son is named Barack.
Pic 2: we passed the Rift Valley.

There are other pictures of my journey but connection is ridiculously slow. Half way through the ride we stopped at a restaurant at the side of the road and I decided to use the washroom facilities. What I found was a metal hole in the ground with flies and a rank smell.. what do they use for leverage? Yeah. I held it for 7 hours. the conviction was THAT strong.

Home sweet home





























Pic 1: The front of Papa Asiyo's house.
Pic 2: The back. My room faces the back so the turkeys, chickens, roosters, dogs, goats and cows def. provide and interesting soundtrack
Pic 3: Our washroom. You are correct. I bathe with a basin. theres only one faucet-handle-thing because theres only one temperature offered haha!
Pic 4: My boudoir.

Not bad at all right? (Keep in mind this is the biggest house in the area. It's weird because we live beside mud houses. no lie.)

The food:

I know my family is dying to see what I'm eating for fear i'm not keeping up my impeccable figure *model pose*. The food is seriously HEARTY. and full of LOVE. hahaha

We eat lots and lots of fruits: Avocadoes the size of your head, Pawpaws (papayas), watermelons, mangoes and bananas usually.

lots of fish and chicken and grainy foods.

On a more serious note, I was chatting with my mom the other day about all the foods I miss (my little coping mechanism) and she said she felt the same way when she left Vietnam. It dawned on me: the woman left her home forever with nothing but uncertainty about the journey ahead of her. what do I have to worry about? I am my mother's daughter and I refuse to whine about what I'm missing. (but I have crazy love for my home nonetheless)

Going to enjoy LIFE instead of waiting for it to begin ;)

With love from Kenya,

Maggie

6 comments:

  1. My mouth just watered when I saw that picture of food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom is hoping that you'd post a picture of yourself next time. But she is happy to know that you're eating well haha

    Love you,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. i cannot believe u got sick!!!! :( poor girl. but im glad you're recovered...safari time! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. my goodness!!! your adventures get crazier and crazier!!! im just glad you're ok and back in good health. i bet you're learning so much through all these experiences.

    avacado's the size of my head sound amazing!!!!! Mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps. as a kid i had this book (i probably still have it) called, Jambo means 'Hello', which was full of different african words and greetings. the beginning of this journal entry reminded me of that book!!! Jambo Magoo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I guess you got the malaria out of the way right at the beginning. Bloody hell! You were only in the country for five minutes. How are you feeling now? Remind me to remind you to see a doctor when you get back.

    Much like crossing a street, how to use the facilities certain vacillates depending on where you are. I imagine it is tough to break the habit of how you take care of business after you have been doing it the same way for so many years. Just think, you are have a cross cultural experience even when you are doing what you need to do completely by yourself.

    ReplyDelete