Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Happy Half-term!

Oyaore everybody! (that's good morning in Luo)

(pictured is George the fisherman and brown bear)

Today I was blessed with the opportunity to come to Kendu Bay for the internet connect again! It is half-term break for the students at Wikondiek. It's a celebration!

This is perfect because I was rushed last time and there were a few things I wanted to mention :) god loves me.


The first is Papa's shamba (farm). On this glorious plot of land, we've seen flower, chili, mango, pawpaw (papaya), avocado, maize and millet crops! It's great! We've even seen a family of hippos chillin' because the shamba is right on Lake Victoria. The first time I heard the sound they make, I stopped dead in my tracks and looked at Leslie with utter confusion and fear.

Leslie is like our brother. He maintains the shamba and lives in the home across from us! BFF foreverrr haha! okay enough with the teasing, here are some pics:






















Pic 1: The shamba is located in a gulf at Victoria Lake. *pretty*

Pic 2: Leslie holding a little goat still so I can pet it

Pic 3: A woman harvesting chillies

Pic 4: Fishermen fishing with mosquito nets... its actually illegal to to this *yikes*


*note: Last time the computer crashed so the post was disorganized. my bad.

4 comments:

  1. the fact you were able to witness hippo's in their natural habitat as oppose to...umm...the zoo..is incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Maggie I can't believe you and Mayan got MALARIA! I hope you're fully recovered. Do you think there's any permanent damage?
    I love reading your blog. It's so exciting! Keep posting, love, and be safe! Perhaps we'll meet up in September so I can hear all your stories.

    -Laura

    P.S. I think the money from FESA has or will be arriving soon. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your posts Maggie! I'm living vicariously through you. I hope that you had a very happy birthday, I tried to call you but couldn't get through! In fact I've tried several times *sadness*
    I can't wait to read your next one! Miss you and keep on living it up!
    -Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi maggie.i miss you!when are u coming back?i went to ottawa with some of my relatives!you've should've went there!it was fun!!!

    ReplyDelete