Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Regret is my greatest fear


You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough - Frank Crane

Hey guys... this is officially my first blog post for my international internship to Wikondiek Primary and Secondary School in Kenya! I'll be on here throughout the summer (whenever I can get on a computer) to let you know what's up :)


So, 2 days before I leave and I'm already starting to recognize one of my greatest challenges: trusting others. I knew when I received this opportunity that I would have to boldly face challenges I usually avoid with my current comfy lifestyle. *lucky me*

For some context: I was born and raised in Toronto and have been living in the same area for 20 years. Needless to say, I'm very strongly rooted here and have generally had the same friends for awhile now.

To leave them for three months will be difficult, but not as difficult as having to trust people that I hardly know or haven't spoken to yet...:S
I have to admit that I get really anxious when putting my fate in the hands of others so I usually handle as much as I can myself. However, in this circumstance, I have no choice but to sit back and relax. It is ab-so-lute-ly unsettling. I'm not sure what awaits me in Africa, whether or not I'll have the luxury of sitting around contemplating my feelings, but the thought of my soon-to-be reality is terrifying and exhilarating. Currently biting my nails and gorging on chocolate.

On that note, I thought I'd try to tackle Larissa's Blog challenge: Define your culture.

I COULD cop out and say I'm a 20 year old Chinese-Canadian City girl from Toronto.... but what does that even mean.. really? hahaha! The truth is I'm not sure what my culture is since my identities intersect like crazy. Like, can I really say I'm Canadian when my Chinese identity heavily affects my experiences in Canadian culture? Am I a full blown city slicker when being a student or even a woman can limit my participation in certain spaces?

Why is it WAY easier to define "other" cultures but not your own? This had me thinking for a bit... but I think I'm going to be politically correct and say its impossible for me to define my culture because that would confine me. There are maybe thousands (or tens of thousands hahaha) of Chinese-Canadian City girls from Toronto... but how we interpret the Chinese, Canadian or Urban culture in Toronto is completely subjective.... I really could go on forever haha.

Following the blogging footsteps of Carrie Bradshaw, this is the bottom line: Defining my culture would mean its fixed. But if I value its fluidity, why am I so scared I will lose something while away?

That's it for now :) check back for updates! *although it might be awhile*

5 comments:

  1. It's true, it is difficult to define our culture as we live in a society where diversity and multicuturalism is praised and acknowledged. I think this problem lives among all Torontonians, and not just you. As you said, all our cultures heavily intersect with each other, this is why I feel that it is unfair to isolate and define one culture as our definition. We adopt different traits from different cultures which we feel fits us best. Being a "Chinese" Canadian shouldn't be looked as a cultural definition, but more as an ethnic one. Multiculturalism and diversity shapes our personality and who we really are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about this perspective: you can't define your culture because you've been in it all your life. You live it, you breathe it, you speak it, your friends and family ARE it. So how are you supposed to know which aspects of your life are "generic" and which are specific your so-called culture? With that said, I think this trip will actually help you to define your culture (well, as much as one can define a Chinese-Canadian culture anyway, lol), because you'll finally be able to not only see, but EXPERIENCE this whole other world you previously knew nothing about. Seeing things on TV is one thing, but to live it is another. I don't think you'll LOSE anything but ignorance =). You are going to have so much fun!! Bon voyage, Maggie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your trip will be amazing! i look forward to hearing about all your adventures and experiences in the motherland :)

    -Big Jacks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to say a few things:
    1.
    I like what your friend Louise has said. How can you define your culture when you have been living in it and not know anything else?
    2.
    The Carrie Bradshaw ending = genius!
    3.
    Africa is my next trip! So I will be tuning in often.
    4.
    Have a safe and wonderful trip!

    - Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly wonderful opening quote!
    Take a look at a similar one: "Trust--and you will be betrayed, don't trust--and you youself will betray" (R. Zelanzy)

    Generally, I feel jealous Maggie!!! Have a lot of fun in Kenya.

    ReplyDelete